"Things which are truly worthwhile do not usually come easily, and to strive toward them is to gain strength of character." — Jay Massey

Sunday, August 17, 2014

Osage "driftwood" short bow, part 3 - progress

Progress:

7/8/2014:
I got in some substantial time today and took of some significant amounts of wood (I'm hoping not too much - more on that later). After some deliberation, I set a goal of reducing to 12 oz according to the Mass Principle espoused by Steve Gardner. That would yield a bow close to 50# at 28 at that ntn length. The bow was 17 oz when we last left it. I started by reducing from mid-limb to tip, narrowing the tips to 1/2". After this procedure, the bow was down to 16+ oz, and I effectively cut out the red streak near the end of the top limb.

String stayed centered, but I realized the handle section was a tad wider than the 1 3/8" I intended to start with. After inspecting carefully, I realized I could take 1/16" off of each side up until almost mid-limb and get a handle section closer to 1 5/16" wide, which would allow me later to taper the limbs more to get rid of the red streak that made me most nervous -- the one riding the edge of the top limb. So...

1/16" off of each side, and the limb was down to 15.8 oz.

I then decided to effect a straight line taper from the middle of the inner limb (so 3/4 down from the nock to the handle) up to the tip. This would remove more mass overall while lightening up the outer limbs and tips (which will lessen shock, increase cast, and increase arrow speed). So...
4 tapers later, the mass was down to 15 oz., the one red streak ended up on the workshop floor as shavings.... and the string now tracks slightly off center. This wasn't so bad, as I had intended to get to within 3 oz of final target mass before continuing to tiller the belly. So, some more wood will need to be removed in key areas to get the string tracking again. No big deal...
BUT: I then realized I miscalculated my target mass. I should have been aiming for more mass in order for the bow to draw 60 @ 28, with the notion that it'll lose some weight as it breaks in. The natural reflex also requires slightly more mass. So, I really should be looking at a target mass closer to 14 oz than 12!
Regardless, I've still a little bit of fudge room as I work toward final mass. I'll just need to take the tillering slow. There is only one remaining red streak that runs from belly to back, but it is safely within the confines of the limb and I filled it with super glue. Provided that it holds together during tillering and initial drawing, I'll be able to get a patch on it. I now feel far more confident of this drift wood becoming a bow now. It's looking more and more like a bow every day!


No comments:

Post a Comment